Every plastic straw that has ever been manufactured still exists on the planet today. Why? Because plastic straws are specifically designed to last. Replacing plastic straws with biodegradable paper straws is a simple and sensible step toward a more environmentally conscious world.
Why are plastic straws harmful?
On average, plastic straws take 200 years to break down because they are not biodegradable. Billions of plastic straws are added to our growing landfills each day after a single use at a restaurant, gas station, convenience store, sports stadium, or theme park – and millions of them wind up in our oceans.
Once in our oceans and waterways, plastic straws cause great harm to marine creatures such as sea turtles, sea birds, dolphins, sharks, seals, and whales. After long-term exposure to salt water and sunlight, plastic waste also breaks up into smaller pieces (called microplastics) that pose further danger to aquatic life and are found everywhere in our oceans, “from sea surface to the deepest crevice in the sea floor.”
What can food and beverage companies do to reduce plastic straw usage?
Food and beverage companies can make a significant environmental impact by sourcing responsible products:
- Offer your customers biodegradable paper straws as opposed to single-use plastic straws. ConverPack’s eco-friendly paper straws come in four distinct sizes, are available in multiple colors and designs, and can be customized with company names and logos to help promote your brand.
- In addition, when serving cold or iced beverages, provide your customers with cold paper cups made from thick, top-of-the-line, sustainably sourced paper. ConverPack’s cold cups are available in white or our new Ecolyptus® stock design and come in 6 distinct sizes (12 oz. to 44 oz.). Cold paper cups can even be customized with the company’s name or logo to help promote their brand.
- Finally, work with a manufacturer like ConverPack who abides by stringent environmental guidelines, follows ambitious recycling and waste reduction programs, and is certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI).
What can everyday people do to reduce plastic straw usage?
People around the world can reduce plastic straw usage by demanding biodegradable paper straws at their local coffee shops, convenience stores, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Paper straws are an easy, eco-friendly, and marine-friendly alternative to plastic straws. Even better, biodegradable paper straws break down in days as opposed to hundreds of years.
Where can I purchase biodegradable paper straws?
Global paper cup manufacturer ConverPack has joined the revolution to replace polluting plastic straws with biodegradable and compostable paper straws. ConverPack’s Ecolyptus® Paper straws are available in a multitude of colors as well as in several stock designs. You can even create your own unique design! Contact ConverPack today to place your order.
In 2019, producing high-quality paper products is just as important as producing environmentally friendly paper products that are thoughtfully designed and engineered with sustainability in mind. Leading paper cup manufacturer ConverPack takes its commitment to conservation to the next level by producing sustainably-sourced paper cups Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®). ConverPack’s responsibly sourced paper cups meet all the requirements of the SFI® COC Standard.
What is the Sustainable Forestry Initiative?
“SFI® is a solutions-oriented sustainability organization committed to forest conservation and community initiatives that demonstrate and enhance our shared quality of life while providing supply chain assurances through standards, data, and authentic stories.”
SFI® works directly with the forestry sector, government agencies, conservationists, teachers, landowners, private companies, and local communities directly impacted by manufacturing. Through these efforts, SFI® leads a collective mission to protect our forests, creates standards to meet that important goal, and designs on-product labels to keep customers informed.
What are sustainably-sourced paper cups?
ConverPack takes numerous factors into consideration as part of its design and manufacturing process. In addition to high quality and performance, ConverPack takes essential steps to protect human health, natural resources, and the environment.
ConverPack’s Ecolyptus® line of products (including its Single Wall Hot Paper Cups, Double Wall Hot Paper Cups, Single Wall Cold Paper Cups, Conical Paper Cups, and Biodegradable & Compostable Paper Straws) are all manufactured under strict environmental guidelines and meet all international quality certification standards.
How does ConverPack protect the environment?
As longtime stewards of the environment, ConverPack is committed to:
- following rigorous guidelines for achieving the best product design while adhering to an ambitious recycling and waste reduction program
- implementing practical, sustainably-sourced programs that reduce carbon footprints and minimize the environmental impact of the company’s products and operations
- sourcing responsible manufacturing materials, from paper and equipment to inks and cleaning solvents
- dedicating time and resources to continually improve its efficiencies and innovation
ConverPack is proud to be certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (Certificate # ORI-SFICOC-1015439).
Where can I purchase wholesale sustainably-sourced paper cups?
ConverPack’s full line of Ecolyptus® sustainably-sourced paper products is available on their website. Contact ConverPack today by phone or email for more information about the company’s sustainability initiatives and environmentally friendly cups and accessories.